MobileMap™ is the ultimate solution for field navigation, data access and data collection. It is a modern mobile GIS application built for Android devices. It utilizes cloud-hosted feature services for field data collection and provides access to large quantities of imagery, base maps, and GIS data for offline use. This means great location awareness, efficiency in the field, and improved team collaboration. MobileMap enables near real-time coordination and allows field staff to remain connected, even in the most remote environments. View our introductory video.
Best in class mobile map solution.
While other mapping tools rely on an internet connection to search for relevant data, or provided limited offline capabilities, MobileMap provides access to high quality map data and all your relevant business information offline. This enables users to search for and zoom to features of interest, calculate distance and direction, and calculate line lengths and polygon areas. This is what “location awareness” is all about!
Easy Location Capture
MobileMap enables efficient data collection by using your device’s GPS to capture points, line and polygon features in the field.
Diverse Base Maps
MobileMap supports multiple, simultaneous base maps in a range of formats. This means you can view base maps that cover a large area, and enable site-specific high-resolution map data where more detail or different thematic information is needed. Individual base map layers can be turned on and off, and some layers support user-defined symbology. Supported basemap formats include:
- Esri Tile Packages (TPK)
- Esri Compact Tile Cache
Esri Tile Packages (TPK) can be generated using ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro or downloaded directly from ArcGIS within MobileMap (requires ArcGIS Online account). Shapefiles and MBTiles data can be generated using a range of Esri and Open Source software.
Basemaps can be stored on a device's internal memory or an external MicroSD card, allowing access very large datasets in the field. Users often load high-resolution satellite imagery covering tens of thousands of acres, sub-meter aerial imager (e.g., color infrared), Lidar-derived digital elevation models, or canopy height models. Users frequently load low-resolution data, covering multiple counties or even multiple states, from a default folder while storing higher resolution data based on specific ownership areas. In MobileMap, it is easy to toggle between aerial imagery, topographic map, and other data while navigating in the field.
Collecting data has never been easier.
MobileMap's user interface is intuitive and easy-to-use. Collecting field data is quick and easy with customized data collection forms and a range of features to improve efficiency, including auto-populated values for observer name, date, length and area, and auto-generated unique feature IDs. Powerful and flexible validation processes allow users to enter data quickly by reducing the chance that errors will be created during data entry. Data collection can be done by using GPS tracking by simply drawing shapes on your screen. At the end of the field day, simply press upload, and your data are securely saved to the cloud where they can be shared with your team.
MobileMap extends beyond the standard Esri data model by providing a range of enhancements including:
- Auto-populated fields that can include current date, created date, edited date, and user.
- Auto-calculated fields that can include area, length, and unique ID fields.
- Configurable defaults fields that allow users to define values that should serve as defaults during data collection. This extends the Esri data model which supports defaults for the entire data model, allowing a user to define the default fields for the day, afternoon, or even just the next few hours. This improves data collection efficiency and data quality by ensuring that the correct values are entered for a given site or workflow.
- Related domains extend Esri data model by allowing data managers to define relationships between Coded Value Domains. Let's say you are collecting points that have a Site Name and a Facility Name. A data manager can define a relationship such that Facility A is only relevant for Site 1, and Facility B is only relevant for Site 2. When a user selects Site 1 from the drop-down list during data collection, MobileMap will restrict the choices in the second drop-down list to only Facility A. Related domains ensure data quality while improving data collection efficiency.
- Validation to include "if/then" rules that enforce logic among fields. "If tree conditions is Broken Top, then tree height is required." "If tree is Overstory, then Percent Defect is required." In the MobileMap data model, rules are defined in a separate table—not in the data model. This allows data managers to add and modify rules as needed. If you see a data problem emerging in the first few days of a campaign, you can add or modify a rule and all users will receive that rule when they download data. No need to alter the data model or update the backend service.
Sharing near real-time data to supports productivity.
MobileMap is focused on supporting collaboration among staff in the field and in the office. Building on the latest in mobile device technology, MobileMap easily synchronizes data via web services, so managers in the office can see the data collected that day, and staff hundreds of miles away can collaborate on collecting and managing valuable field data.
MobileMap shows data collection in near real-time, providing information on who is actively collecting data and their productivity. Managers can use MobileMap to help assess training needs, remove barriers to productivity, or to re-assign work to other field staff to keep a project on track.
Easily tailor collection parameters, user settings, and workflows.
MobileMap is a highly-configurable application that can be tailored to meet your specific workflows and data needs. The application mirrors your data requirements, using your Esri data model to define the attribute fields, including data type, allowed fields, and required inputs. User defined settings allow for further customization of the data collection experience and improve collection efficiency. But don't worry! Settings can be exported and imported to support quick setup of new devices and sharing a common set of configuration parameters within your team. With software already targeted to your industry, you will have less setup time and can hit the ground running.
Added protection without special systems.
MobileMap leverages a range of software best practices to ensure your data are protected. We utilize Esri's robust OAuth2 authentication when transferring data to the cloud, so users can feel confident that their data is secure and only accessible to authorized collaborators. MobileMap syncs with ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Online feature services which means that your data is always backed-up and up-to-date. No special hardware, operating systems, or software needed to load onto your system.
Unleash productivity and profitability.
MobileMap is built on Android to capitalize on this mobile platform’s performance, capabilities, flexibility, and affordability. From its inception, Android has focused on providing options—options of manufacturers and options for sensors, software, connectivity, batteries, etc. Using the Android platform provides the ability to choose the hardware you need rather than being restricted to a single vendor. The Android platform also capitalizes on critical capabilities not found in iOS devices including:
- MicroSD Card Support
- Rugged Devices
- High Accuracy GPS
- Sunlight Readable Screens
Data quality begins with a robust data model with correct data type and field settings. With ArcGIS as the back-end data service, Esri data models define the data collection data model in MobileMap. This means that data type, field width (for text fields), allowed values (Coded Value Domains and Range Domains), and which fields are required can be defined to ensure the data are complete and correct. MobileMap ensures that field staff populate your required fields and only use allowed values.
MobileMap runs on Android devices running Lollipop (Android 5.0) or higher. It has been tested on many devices including tablets, phones and GPS devices. It can run on very modest hardware, but we recommend using devices with as much RAM and storage as possible in order to enable optimal performance. We do not specifically endorse any Android devices, but we certify the following devices:
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A
- Samsung Galaxy S2
- Juniper Mesa2